Ten product introductions and no closures brought the listed ETP count to 1,486 (1,268 ETFs and 218 ETNs) at the end of July. The year-to-date quantities include 134 launches and 17 closures, for a net increase of 117 listings. Two of July’s new ETFs are actively managed funds, pushing their quantity to 53.
Assets under management climbed to over $1.2 trillion. The 2.2% monthly increase was better than the market’s performance in July, pointing to continued inflows for the industry. Products with asset levels in excess of $10 billion declined by one to 22 while 159 ETPs residing above the $1 billion mark is two better than a month ago.
Trading activity plummeted 19% after slumping 10% in June. Total dollar volume (value traded) was just $1.09 trillion. Trading of ETNs took a disproportionate hit, plunging more than 38%. SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) single-handedly accounted for 35.8% of all trading activity.
ETPs averaging more than $1 billion of trading per day were cut by more than half to only five –the lowest quantity in years. However, those five still accounted for 53% of all ETP trading activity. Products averaging more than $100 million per day decreased from 71 to 60 while capturing 86.9% of trading activity. The quantity with more than $10 million of trading per day also slid, dropping from 228 to 216 while grabbing 97.3% of activity.
|July 2012 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||1,268||218||1,486|
|Listed as of 12/31/2011||1,166||203||1,369|
|New Introductions for Month||9||1||10|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+9||+1||+10|
|New Introductions 6 Months||96||15||111|
|New Introductions YTD||119||15||134|
|Net Change YTD||+102||+15||+117|
|Assets Under Mgmt ($ billion)||$1,190||$17.2||$1,207|
|% Change in Assets for Month||+2.2%||+2.1%||+2.2%|
|Qty AUM > $10 Billion||22||0||22|
|Qty AUM > $1 Billion||156||3||159|
|Qty AUM > $100 Million||535||22||557|
|Monthly $ Volume ($ billion)||$1,069||$20.3||$1,089|
|% Change in Monthly $ Volume||-18.5%||-38.4%||-19.0%|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $1 Billion||5||0||5|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $100 Million||58||2||60|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $10 Million||206||10||216|
Data sources: Daily prices and volume of individual ETPs from Norgate Premium Data. Fund counts and all other information compiled by Invest With An Edge.
New products launched in July (sorted by launch date):
- AdvisorShares Global Alpha & Beta ETF (RRGR) [Random Roger Global Tactical ETF Launched]
- ProShares UltraPro Financials (FINU) [ProShares Launches 3x Financials ETFs]
- ProShares UltraPro Short Financials (FINZ)
- Global X SuperIncome Preferred ETF (SPFF) [New Global X Preferred ETF Is 88% Financials]
- Market Vectors Preferred Securities ex Financials ETF (PXFX) [New Market Vectors Preferred ETF Is 37% Financials]
- ETRACS Alerian MLP Index ETN (AMU) [UBS ETRACS Launches AMJ Replacement]
- PowerShares DWA SmallCap Technical Leaders Portfolio (DWAS) [New Technical Small Cap ETF Follows Relative Strength]
- ProShares Ultra Australian Dollar (GDAY) [ProShares Grows a Pair Down Under]
- ProShares UltraShort Australian Dollar (CROC)
- Huntington US Equity Rotation Strategy ETF (HUSE) [Huntington Launches Actively Managed Sector Rotation ETF]
Product closures/delistings in July:
Product changes in July:
- Market Vectors Solar Energy ETF (KWT) underwent a 1-for-15 reverse split effective July 2, 2012.
Announced Product Changes for Coming Months:
- United States Heating Oil Fund (UHN) will become the United States Diesel-Heating Oil Fund (UHN) effective August 7, 2012.
- AdvisorShares changed plans and decided to close and liquidate AdvisorShares Dent Tactical ETF (DENT) rather than pursue a reorganization of the fund into the AdvisorShares Meidell Tactical Advantage ETF (MATH). August 8 is the last day of trading for DENT.
- iShares 2012 S&P AMT-Free Municipal Series ETF (MUAA) last day of trading is scheduled for August 15, due to its planned maturity and liquidation.
- IQ South Korea Small Cap ETF (SKOR) is closing, and August 17, 2012 will be its last day of listed trading.
- All 15 FocusShares are closing. August 17, 2012 will be the last day of trading.
- Direxion Shares Trust is closing nine ETFs (pdf). September 5 will be the last day of trading for BRIL, BRIS, COWL, COWS, INDZ, LEHS, MATS, SICK, and RETS.
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2012 Corporate Bond (BSCC) will terminate on or about December 31 due to its planned maturity and liquidation.
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2012 High Yield Corporate Bond (BSJC) will terminate on or about December 31 due to its planned maturity and liquidation.