January produced twenty new ETFs and two new ETNs. None closed. The 22 new products result in a current total count of 1,121 listings (987 ETFs and 134 ETNs). Two of the new ETFs are classified as actively-managed funds, bringing their count to 33.
Trading activity picked up after falling significantly during the year-end holiday season. Total dollar volume jumped +13.3% in January to $1.26 trillion. With only 20 trading days during the month, the daily average came in at $62.8 billion, a +24.8% increase over December’s 22-day average.
The number of ETFs in the Billion Dollar Club, those averaging more than one billion dollars in daily trading activity, retuned to ten after dropping to six for one month. Products averaging more than $100 million per day came in at 64, a small increase from 62 in December.
Assets under management increased +1.1% for the month, allowing the total to remain above $1 trillion for the second month in a row. At month end, ETFs had $1,005 billion and ETNs had $14.7 billion.
|January 2011 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||987||134||1,121|
|Listed as of 12/31/2010||967||132||1,099|
|New Introductions for Month||20||2||22|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+20||+2||+22|
|New Introductions YTD||20||2||22|
|Net Change YTD||+20||+2||+22|
|Assets Under Mgmt ($ billion)||$1,005.6||$14.7||$1,020.3|
|% Change in Assets||+1.1%||+3.1%||+1.1%|
|Monthly $ Volume ($ billion)||$1,237||$18.2||$1,255|
|% Change in Monthly $ Volume||+13.1%||+31.9%||+13.3%|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $1 Billion||10||0||10|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $100 Million||63||1||64|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $10 Million||229||12||241|
Data sources: AUM from National Stock Exchange, daily prices and volume of individual ETPs from Norgate Premium Data, fund counts and all other information compiled by Invest With An Edge.
New products launched in January (in chronological order):
- ProShares VIX Short-Term Futures ETF (VIXY) (ProShares Introduces Volatility Futures in an ETF)
- ProShares VIX Mid-Term Futures ETF (VIXM)
- Global X Aluminum ETF (ALUM) (Global X Launches Aluminum Producers ETF)
- WisdomTree Managed Futures Strategy Fund (WDTI) (WisdomTree Launches S&P DTI Index ETF)
- Rydex MSCI All Country World Equal Weight ETF (EWAC) (The Whole World, Equally Weighted)
- Schwab U.S. REIT ETF (SCHH) (Schwab Expands Domestic ETF Offerings With REITs and Mid-Caps)
- Schwab U.S. Mid-Cap ETF (SCHM)
- ETFS Physical Asian Gold Shares (AGOL) (Now You Can Buy Gold Stored in Singapore)
- iPath Inverse January 2021 S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (IVO) (Barclays Clones Its Own Inverse VIX ETN)
- Global X Russell Emerging Markets Growth ETF (EMGX) (Global X Introduces First Emerging Markets Growth and Value ETFs)
- Global X Russell Emerging Markets Value ETF (EMVX)
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2012 High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (BSJC) (Target Maturity Junk Bond ETFs From Guggenheim)
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2013 High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (BSJD)
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2014 High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (BSJE)
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2015 High Yield Corporate Bond ETF (BSJF)
- RBS US Mid Cap Trendpilot ETN (TRNM) (RBS Introduces Mid Cap Trendpilot ETN)
- SPDR S&P Health Care Equipment ETF (XHE) (3 New SPDR Equal-Weighted Industry ETFs)
- SPDR S&P Telecom ETF (XTL)
- SPDR S&P Transportation ETF (XTN)
- AdvisorShares Active Bear ETF (HDGE) (The First Actively-Managed Short Selling ETF)
- ESG Shares Pax MSCI EAFE ESG Index ETF (EAPS) (Socially Responsible Developed Markets ETF Launched)
- Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) (Vanguard Launches Its 2nd All World Ex-US ETF)
Product closures/delistings in January:
Product changes in January:
- Effective 1/1/11, BlackRock slightly reduced expenses on 34 international iShares ETFs.
- Market Vectors Nuclear Energy ETF (NLR) changed its name to Market Vectors Uranium+Nuclear Energy ETF (NLR) effective 1/5/11.
- Van Eck suspended new share creation for Market Vectors Egypt (EGPT) effective 1/31/11.
Announced Product Changes for Coming Months:
- Effective 2/1/11, Market Vectors Indonesia (IDX) will have a 3:1 split.
- Effective 2/1/11, AdvisorShares Cambria Global Tactical ETF (GTAA) will reduce its expense cap from 1.35% to 0.99% due to asset growth (now ~$72 million).
- Effective 2/2/11, eight PowerShares DB commodity ETFs will change their underlying indexes from “Deutsche Bank Liquid Commodity Index – Optimum Yield” indexes to “DBIQ Optimum Yield” indexes.
- Russell Investments intends to acquire U.S. One and become the manager of the One Fund ETF (ONEF) after shareholder approval, targeted for mid-February.
- Effective 2/23/11, five Direxion ETFs will undergo 1-for-5 reverse splits (FAZ, BGZ, MWN, DPK, and SOXS)
Previous monthly ETF statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, publisher, and affiliates: No positions in any of the securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.