Note (added 3/2/10): This article contains errors due to the fact that PHYS is not an ETF. Corrections include: New ETPs for the month = 17 (16 ETFs and one ETN); currently listed products = 964 (873 ETFs and 91 ETNs); table requires adjustments to reflect new quantities; new launch #18 (PHYS) should be removed.
18 new exchange traded products (ETPs) launched in February: 17 ETFs and one ETN. No products were delisted. The number of US-listed products now stands at 965 (874 ETFs and 91 ETNs).
February ended the three-month streak where new product launches exceeded 20. It was also the second month in a row with no closures, but that streak will not be extended as WisdomTree plans to close 10 funds in March.
Notional trading of ETPs hit $1.420 trillion in February, up +4.6% from $1.357 trillion in January. Trading in SDPR S&P 500 (SPY) exceeded $478 billion for the month, accounting for 33.7% of all ETP value traded.
82 products (8.5%) had an average daily value traded (ADVT) of $100 million or more. There were 104 (10.8%) in the ETF Deathwatch classification (ADVT below $100,000 and more than six months on the market).
|February 2010 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||874||91||965|
|Listed as of 12/31/2009||836||89||925|
|New Introductions for Month||17||1||18|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+17||+1||+18|
|New Introductions YTD||38||2||40|
|Net Change YTD||+38||+2||+40|
|ADVT > $1 Billion||14||0||14|
|ADVT > $100 Million||81||1||82|
|On Deathwatch at End of Month||71||33||104|
|% on Deathwatch||8.1%||36.3%||10.8%|
New products launched in February (in chronological order):
- PIMCO Short Term Municipal Bond Strategy Fund (SMMU) (PIMCO Adds Short-Term Munis to ETF Menu)
- ProShares UltraPro Dow30 (UDOW) (ProShares ETFs Go 3X)
- ProShares UltraPro S&P MidCap400 (UMDD)
- ProShares UltraPro QQQ (TQQQ)
- ProShares UltraPro Russell2000 (URTY)
- ProShares UltraPro Short Dow30 (SDOW)
- ProShares UltraPro Short S&P MidCap400 (SMDD)
- ProShares UltraPro Short QQQ (SQQQ)
- ProShares UltraPro Short Russell2000 (SRTY)
- GlobalShares FTSE Developed Countries ex US Fund (GSD) (Another Unneeded ETF from Old Mutual)
- EGS INDXX China Infrastructure Index Fund (CHXX) (Emerging Global Launches China Infrastructure ETF)
- Market Vectors Egypt Index ETF (EGPT) (Egypt Now Available to ETF Investors)
- PowerShares CEF Income Composite Portfolio (PCEF) (Closed-End Funds Inside an ETF)
- Credit Suisse Long/Short Liquid Index ETN (CSLS) (Do Not Buy CSLS)
- EGS INDXX Brazil Infrastructure Index Fund (BRXX) (New Brazil Infrastructure ETF)
- Direxion Daily 2-Year Treasury Bull 3x Shares (TWOL) (Leveraged & Inverse Short Term Bond ETFs)
- Direxion Daily 2-Year Treasury Bear 3x Shares (TWOZ)
- Sprott Physical Gold Trust (PHYS) (Now You Can Store Your Gold in Canada)
Product closures/delistings in February:
Previous monthly statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, publisher, and affiliates: No positions in any of the securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.