There were 23 new ETFs and no new ETNs launched in December. Six ETFs were delisted. The net increase of 17 pushed the quantity of listed products to 925 (836 ETFs and 89 ETNs) at the end of 2009, an increase of 80 for the year. If the pace of the past six months keeps up, then we should reach the 1,000 level by mid-year.
During 2009 there were a total 136 new ETP launches, consisting of 127 ETFs and 9 ETNs. This was only the fourth largest number of new launches in a calendar year, falling below the levels of the previous three years and less than half of the 291 new introductions in 2007.
Delistings and closures numbered 56 (51 ETFs and 5 ETNs) for 2009. This was the second largest on record, coming in just shy of the 58 delistings in 2008.
Notes: The ETF counts include MacroShares, which technically are not ETFs. The new introductions and closings quantities do not include the XGC extreme makeover in July 2009.
New products launched in December (in chronological order):
- Global X China Consumer ETF (CHIQ) (article on CHIQ and CHII)
- Global X China Industrial ETF (CHII)
- PIMCO Intermediate Municipal Bond Strategy Fund (MUNI) (article on MUNI)
- Direxion Daily China Bear 3x Shares (CZI) (article on CZI, CZM, LHB, and LBJ)
- Direxion Daily China Bull 3x Shares (CZM)
- Direxion Daily Latin America 3x Bear Shares (LHB)
- Direxion Daily Latin America 3x Bull Shares (LBJ)
- Claymore China Technology ETF (CQQQ) (article on CQQQ)
- GlobalShares FTSE Emerging Markets Fund (GSR) (article on GSR)
- FaithShares Catholic Values Fund (FCV) (article on FCV, FOC, FMV, FZB, and FKL)
- FaithShares Christian Values Fund (FOC)
- FaithShares Methodist Values Fund (FMV)
- Global X China Technology ETF (CHIB) (article on CHIB)
- iShares 10+ Year Credit Bond Fund (CLY) (article on CLY and GLJ)
- iShares 10+ Year Government/Credit Bond Fund (GLJ)
- Global X China Financials ETF (CHIX) (article on CHIX)
- Schwab U.S. Large-Cap Growth ETF (SCHG) (article on SCHG and SCHV)
- Schwab U.S. Large-Cap Value ETF (SCHV)
- FaithShares Baptist Values Fund (FZB) (article on FCV, FOC, FMV, FZB, and FKL)
- FaithShares Lutheran Values Fund (FKL)
- Global X China Energy ETF (CHIE) (article on CHIE)
- SPDR Barclays Capital Short Term Corporate Bond ETF (SCPB) (article on SCPB)
- WisdomTree International Hedged Equity Fund (HEDJ) (article on HEDJ)
Product closures/delistings in December:
- Claymore/Morningstar Manufacturing Super Sector Index ETF (MZG) (article on MZG, MZN, MZO, and UEM)
- Claymore/Morningstar Information Super Sector Index ETF (MZN)
- Claymore/Morningstar Services Super Sector Index ETF (MZO)
- Claymore U.S.-1 – The Capital Markets Index ETF (UEM)
- MacroShares Major Metro Housing Down (DMM) (article on closure and a separate article on their expense ratio)
- MacroShares Major Metro Housing Up (UMM)
Previous monthly statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, and publisher: Participating in DMM and UMM liquidation. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.