The ETF Deathwatch membership rolls jumped higher for May. Twenty names were added to the list, while only four came off. The net increase of 16 pushed the total count from 299 to 315, consisting of 221 ETFs and 94 ETNs. The industry hit a major milestone earlier this month when the number of ETF and ETN closures reached 500.
No funds came off of the list due to closure this month. Only one fund closed in April, the Source EURO STOXX 50 ETF (ESTX), and it managed to stay off the list for the few days it was eligible. It was launched last September, and Source announced its closure on March 26 after being on the market only six months and three days. It was 199 days old when its listing was removed.
ESTX was Source’s only US-listed ETF, which makes Source the shortest-lived sponsor of ETFs ever. The previous record stood for ten years and belonged to ETF Advisors and their “FITRs” brand of fixed-income ETFs. The four Treasury FITRs were launched on November 1, 2002. They had their last day of trading on May 21, 2003 when they were 202 days old, and the firm never sponsored any additional ETFs.
ETF newcomers ARK, Infracap, and Fallah have funds joining ETF Deathwatch this month, and all three firms now have 100% of their ETF product line on the list. This amounts to just one fund each for Infracap and Fallah, but ARK sponsors four ETFs that are currently struggling.
The average asset level of products on ETF Deathwatch increased from $6.4 million to $6.9 million, and 45 currently have less than $2 million in assets. The average age increased from 47.1 to 47.2 months, and 96 are now more than five years old.
Here is the Complete List of 315 Products on ETF Deathwatch for May 2015 compiled using the objective ETF Deathwatch Criteria.
The 20 ETPs added to ETF Deathwatch for May:
- AdvisorShares Accuvest Global Long Short (AGLS)
- AdvisorShares Madrona International (FWDI)
- Direxion Daily Mid Cap Bull 2x (MDLL)
- ETFS Physical White Metal Basket Shares (WITE)
- First Trust Developed Markets x-US Small Cap AlphaDEX (FDTS)
- Global X Junior MLP ETF (MLPJ)
- Guggenheim BulletShares 2022 HY Corp Bond (BSJM)
- iPath Bloomberg Natural Gas TR ETN (GAZ)
- iPath US Treasury Steepener ETN (STPP)
- iShares Asia Developed Real Estate (IFAS)
- PowerShares S&P Emerging Markets High Beta (EEHB)
- PowerShares S&P SmallCap Materials (PSCM)
- ProShares Short SmallCap600 (SBB)
- ALPS STOXX Europe 600 ETF (STXX)
- ARK Genomic Revolution Multi-Sector ETF ARKG)
- ARK Innovation ETF (ARKK)
- Falah Russell-IdealRatings U.S. Large Cap (FIA)
- InfraCap MLP ETF (AMZA)
- iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Horizon ETF (EMHZ)
- Renaissance International IPO ETF (IPOS)
The 4 ETPs removed from ETF Deathwatch due to improved health:
- First Trust China AlphaDEX (FCA)
- iShares MSCI Colombia Capped (ICOL)
- ProShares Ultra Euro (ULE)
- ProShares UltraShort Utilities (SDP)
The ETPs removed from ETF Deathwatch due to delisting: