The number of products on ETF Deathwatch continues the recent downtrend with the membership rolls for May dropping by two. Ten products were added to the list, but twelve were removed. The highlight of the dozen coming off the list is that only one was due to closure and delisting. The new count stands at 297, of which 202 are ETFs and 95 are ETNs.
The dominant theme for May additions seems to be international funds. Of the ten products added to ETF Deathwatch, six have an international flavor. Of the minority, three are short funds and the fourth an insurance ETF.
Two of the international funds added to the list (db X-Trackers MSCI AC AP ex Japan Hedged (DBAP) and db X-Trackers MSCI UK Hedged Equity (DBUK)) were designed to provide exposure to foreign market securities without the effects of currency translations. In April, WisdomTree introduced five currency-hedged ETFs aimed at certain sectors of Japan’s stock market. It will be interesting to see whether the category is out of favor, or if it is just the U.K. and Asia ex Japan that are being ignored by investors.
The average age of products on ETF Deathwatch increased from 42.5 to 43.4 months. The current reigning champion of age fits with this month’s international theme, BLDRS Europe 100 ADR (ADRU) at nearly 12 years. The youngest, at just 7 months, include three of our new international additions, PowerShares China A-Share (CHNA), DBAP, and DBUK.
The average asset size decreased from $7.2 million to $6.9 million, and 48 products have less than $2 million in assets. Three iPath ETNs went the entire month of April without a single trade, and 99 products saw no action on the last day of the month.
Here is the Complete List of 297 Products on ETF Deathwatch for May 2014 compiled using the objective ETF Deathwatch Criteria.
The 10 ETPs added to ETF Deathwatch for May:
- db X-Trackers MSCI AC AP ex Japan Hedged (DBAP)
- db X-Trackers MSCI UK Hedged Equity (DBUK)
- Direxion Daily Total Bond Market Bear 1x (SAGG)
- First Trust ISE Global Engineering & Construction (FLM)
- PowerShares China A-Share (CHNA)
- PowerShares DB Crude Oil Short ETN (SZO)
- PowerShares KBW Insurance (KBWI)
- ProShares UltraShort MSCI EAFE (EFU)
- ProShares UltraShort Semiconductors (SSG)
- SPDR MSCI ACWI IMI (ACIM)
The 11 ETPs removed from ETF Deathwatch due to improved health:
- Direxion Daily Basic Materials Bull 3x (MATL)
- iPath US Treasury 2-year Yield Bear ETN (DTUS)
- iShares Enhanced U.S. Small-Cap ETF (IESM)
- iShares Industrial/Office Real Estate Capped (FNIO)
- iShares MSCI All Country Asia x-Japan Small Cap (AXJS)
- Market Vectors Fallen Angel High Yield Bond (ANGL)
- PowerShares DB 3x Long 25+ Treasury ETN (LBND)
- ProShares UltraShort Consumer Goods (SZK)
- ProShares UltraShort Russell2000 Growth (SKK)
- RBS China Trendpilot ETN (TCHI)
- VelocityShares Tail Risk Hedged Large Cap (TRSK)
The 1 ETPs removed from ETF Deathwatch due to delisting:
- Barclays ETN+ S&P 500 1x Short B 2009 ETN (BXDB)