ETF Deathwatch membership increased by six but is still just shy of the 300 mark. Seventeen new names joined the list while eleven escaped. Six of the departing products did so by improving their health through increased assets, increased trading activity, or both. Five others are now “dearly departed” as they have met their final demise. The current list has 299 products, consisting of 207 ETFs and 92 ETNs. If you ever find yourself owning an ETF that has announced its intention to close, be sure to consult our Five Steps to Avoid Disaster When Your ETF Closes.
Most of the products joining the list this month just emerged from the six-month grace period bestowed upon all new funds to give them a chance to gain attention. Eleven different sponsors are included in this month’s additions. They are AdvisorShares, ARK, Direxion, Guggenheim, iShares, Market Vectors, PIMCO, PowerShares, SPDRs, (ALPS) Stock Split, and WisdomTree. Most of these are familiar names, showing that it requires more than a powerful brand to make a product successful.
The average asset level of products on ETF Deathwatch decreased from $6.6 million to $6.4 million, and 46 currently have less than $2 million in assets. Claims that these are just young products and need a chance to grow are countered by an average age of 47.1 months. Additionally, 90 are more than five years old, and two of the WisdomTree funds are now more than eight years old.
Here is the Complete List of 299 Products on ETF Deathwatch for April 2015 compiled using the objective ETF Deathwatch Criteria.
The 17 ETPs added to ETF Deathwatch for April:
- AdvisorShares Morgan Creek Global Tactical (GTAA)
- AdvisorShares WCM/BNY Mellon Focused Growth ADR (AADR)
- ARK Industrial Innovation ETF (ARKQ)
- ARK Web x.0 ETF (ARKW)
- Direxion Daily 7-10 Year Treasury Bull 2x (SYTL)
- Direxion Daily Small Cap Bull 2x (SMLL)
- Guggenheim Emerging Markets Real Estate (EMRE)
- iShares Enhanced International Small-Cap (IEIS)
- Market Vectors Pre-Refunded Municipal (PRB)
- PIMCO Foreign Currency Strategy Active (FORX)
- PowerShares LadderRite 0-5 Year Corp Bond (LDRI)
- SPDR MSCI Mexico Quality Mix ETF (QMEX)
- SPDR MSCI South Korea Quality Mix ETF (QKOR)
- SPDR MSCI Taiwan Quality Mix ETF (QTWN)
- SPDR SSgA Risk Aware ETF (RORO)
- Stock Split Index Fund (TOFR)
- WisdomTree BofA ML HY Bond Negative Duration (HYND)
The 6 ETPs removed from ETF Deathwatch due to improved health:
- AdvisorShares Gartman Gold/Euro (GEUR)
- DB 3x Japanese Govt Bond Futures ETN (JGBT)
- Deutsche X-trackers MSCI ACAP x-Japan Hedged (DBAP)
- ETRACS S&P 500 Gold Hedged Index ETN (SPGH)
- iShares Commodity Optimized Trust (CMDT)
- ProShares Short Euro (EUFX)
The 5 ETPs removed from ETF Deathwatch due to delisting:
- SPDR Nuveen S&P VRDO Municipal Bond (VRD)
- SPDR S&P Mortgage Finance (KME)
- SPDR S&P Small Cap Emerging Asia Pacific (GMFS)
- United States Metals (USMI)
- Horizons S&P Financial Select Sector Covered Call (HFIN)
ETF Deathwatch Archives
Disclosure covering writer: No positions in any of the securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.