The San Francisco MoneyShow ETF Panel
Those of you that have known me a while are aware I have been speaking on the subject of ETFs and mutual funds at various national conferences since 1994. In fact, maybe we even met at one of the shows. I was recently invited to participate on the ETF Panel at the 2009 San Francisco Money Show, where I met many people for the first time and renewed some old friendships.
Karen Gibbs moderated the discussion, and I was joined on the panel by Roger Nusbaum, Jim Farrish, and Carlton Delfeld. Many of the events at the show were recorded on video and can be found at the MoneyShow website, including my “Five ETF Favorites in this Market.” (Note: I could not create a direct link to the videos. You will need to go to MoneyShow.com, click on the “video” header, then select “Most Recent Videos”. Additional menus allow you to select the event and speaker.)
For those who prefer their information in writing, here are the five ETFs I discussed. I chose to highlight one ETF from each of five major categories:
- Broad Market ETF Favorite: Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT) (comparing VT to ACWI)
- Bond ETF Favorite: iShares Barclays TIPS Fund (TIP) (TIP website)
- Commodity ETF Favorite: Greenhaven Continuous Commodity (GCC) (GCC website)
- International ETF Favorite: Market Vectors Brazil Small Cap ETF (BRF) (launch of BRF and Brazil ETF overview)
- Sector ETF Favorite: SPDR S&P Biotech ETF (XBI) (overview of Biotech ETFs and comparing IBB and XBI)
I would like to extend a special thanks to the good folks at Seeking Alpha for nominating me for inclusion on the San Francisco MoneyShow ETF Panel. I will be speaking again on ETFs at the World MoneyShow in Orlando, February 3-6, 2010.
Disclosure (as required by FTC 16 CFR Part 255): I am long VT, ACWI, TIP, and BRF. I have no positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. I have never received any income, revenue, or fees from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.