The longer I study Fidelity’s commission-free ETF announcement of last week (2/2/10), the more impressed I become. This is not a hap-hazard list of ETFs that Fidelity and BlackRock threw together. It is a solid lineup assembled from what many would consider the best iShares core offerings in domestic equities, international equities, and fixed income ETFs.
The domestic equity lineup includes both the S&P style index offerings familiar to retail investors as well as the Russell stock funds that institutional investors often prefer. The S&P-based funds include the popular iShares S&P 500 Index Fund (IVV). The Russell-based funds do not include the mid-cap offerings, but the Russell 3000 whole-market ETF is included.
The international lineup has the two grand-daddies of international ETF investing (EFA and EEM) as well as a small cap international and a whole world fund. The fixed income lineup has a solid representative from each of five major bond sectors. Last, but not least, is Fidelity’s own Nasdaq Composite ETF (ONEQ).
Below is the complete list of the 26 commission-free ETFs at Fidelity along with their current expense ratio and a link to their overview page with top holdings and other important details:
Russell Style Box ETFs
- iShares Russell 3000 Index (IWV) 0.21%
- iShares Russell 1000 Value Index (IWD) 0.20%
- iShares Russell 1000 Index (IWB) 0.15%
- iShares Russell 1000 Growth Index (IWF) 0.20%
- iShares Russell 2000 Value Index(IWN) 0.33%
- iShares Russell 2000 Index (IWM) 0.24%
- iShares Russell 2000 Growth Index (IWO) 0.25%
S&P Style Box ETFs
- iShares S&P 500 Value Index (IVE) 0.18%
- iShares S&P 500 Index (IVV) 0.09%
- iShares S&P 500 Growth Index (IVW) 0.18%
- iShares S&P Mid Cap 400 Value Index (IJJ) 0.28%
- iShares S&P Mid Cap 400 Index (IJH) 0.21%
- iShares S&P Mid Cap 400 Growth Index (IJK) 0.25%
- iShares S&P Small Cap 600 Value Index (IJS) 0.25%
- iShares S&P Small Cap 600 Index (IJR) 0.20%
- iShares S&P Small Cap 600 Growth Index (IJT) 0.25%
International and Global Equity ETFs
- iShares MSCI EAFE Index (EFA) 0.35%
- iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index (EEM) 0.72%
- iShares MSCI EAFE Small Cap Index (SCZ) 0.40%
- iShares MSCI ACWI Index (ACWI) 0.35%
Fixed Income ETFs
- iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond Fund (AGG) 0.24%
- iShares Barclays TIPS Bond Fund (TIP) 0.20%
- iShares iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate Bond Fund (LQD) 0.15%
- iShares JPMorgan USD Emerging Markets Bond Fund (EMB) 0.60%
- iShares S&P National AMT-Free Municipal Bond Fund (MUB) 0.25%
Fidelity also reduced commissions for other ETFs, stocks, and options.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, publisher, and affiliates: Long some positions in this list. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. Our affiliate, Capital Cities Asset Management, uses Fidelity Brokerage Services and Ameritrade Institutional as custodians and brokerage for client accounts.