ETF Stats for November 2009: Active Listings at 908
There were 23 new ETFs and five new ETNs launched in November. No products were delisted. The net increase of 28 pushed the quantity of listed products to 908, the first time the count has been above 900.
In theory, each hundred new products should come quicker than the previous since it represents a smaller percentage increase. However, it took 18 months for the list to grow from 800 to 900 while the climb from 700 to 800 took just four months.
In fact, the 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 levels were all eclipsed during the 18-month period prior to the one just completed. In other words, new listings grew at only 15% over the past 18 months versus more than 100% in the previous 18-month span.
Even with that dramatic decline in the growth rate, the number of new listings in November was the highest in twelve months. This was still far below the record of 50 launched in January 2007. The pace is picking up once again but remains well below the rapid climb we saw from 2006-2008 when the number of products increased by 279% (an annualized growth rate of 56% per year).
|November 2009 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||819||89||908|
|Listed as of 12/31/2008||760||85||845|
|New Introductions for Month||23||5||28|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+23||+5||+28|
|New Introductions YTD||104||9||113|
|Net Change YTD||+59||+4||+63|
|On Deathwatch at End of Month||88||40||128|
|% on Deathwatch||10.7%||44.9%||14.1%|
New products launched in November (in chronological order):
- PIMCO 3-7 Year U.S. Treasury Index ETF (FIVZ) (article on FIVZ and ZROZ)
- PIMCO 25+ Year Zero Coupon U.S. Treasury Index ETF (ZROZ)
- Schwab U.S. Broad Market ETF (SCHB) (article on Schwab launch)
- Schwab U.S. Large-Cap ETF (SCHX)
- Schwab U.S. Small-Cap ETF (SCHA)
- Schwab International Equity ETF (SCHF)
- TXF Large Companies ETF (TXF) (article on TXF)
- Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) (article on GDXJ)
- iShares Diversified Alternative Trust (ALT) (article on ALT)
- IQ ARB Merger Arbitrage ETF (MNA) (article on MNA, MINT, and BAB)
- PIMCO Enhanced Short Maturity Strategy Fund (MINT)
- PowerShares Build America Bonds Portfolio (BAB)
- First Trust NASDAQ Clean Edge Smart Grid Infrastructure Index Fund (GRID) (article on GRID)
- United States 12 Month Natural Gas Fund (UNL) (article on UNL)
- Barclays S&P 500 3x Long 2009 ETN+ (BXUB) (article on new ETN+ products)
- Barclays S&P 500 2x Long 2009 ETN+ (BXUC)
- Barclays S&P 500 1x Short 2009 ETN+ (BXDB)
- Barclays S&P 500 2x Short 2009 ETN+ (BXDC)
- Barclays S&P 500 3x Short 2009 ETN+ (BXDD)
- iShares S&P India Nifty 50 Index Fund (INDY) (article on INDY)
- Vanguard Short-Term Government Bond ETF (VGSH) (article on new Vanguard ETFs)
- Vanguard Intermediate-Term Government Bond ETF (VGIT)
- Vanguard Long-Term Government Bond ETF (VGLT)
- Vanguard Short-Term Corporate Bond ETF (VCSH)
- Vanguard Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond ETF (VCIT)
- Vanguard Long-Term Corporate Bond ETF (VCLT)
- Vanguard Mortgage-Backed Securities ETF (VMBS)
- Market Vectors Poland ETF (PLND) (article on PLND)
Product closures/delistings in November:
Previous ETF monthly statistics reports are available here.
Disclosure covering writer, editor, and publisher: Long GDXJ. No positions in any of the other securities mentioned. No positions in any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned. No income, revenue, or other compensation (either directly or indirectly) received from, or on behalf of, any of the companies or ETF sponsors mentioned.